Remnant District
Login/Register
Remnant District
Login/Register
Remnant District
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Forums!

HomeFront PageLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Running A Tekkit Server

Go down 
+3
Ksun Sundbergian
Bobster93
Bowarrow51
7 posters

Tekkit or Bukkit
Tekkit
Running A Tekkit Server I_vote_lcap71%Running A Tekkit Server I_vote_rcap
 71% [ 5 ]
Bukkit
Running A Tekkit Server I_vote_lcap29%Running A Tekkit Server I_vote_rcap
 29% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 7

AuthorMessage
Bowarrow51
Admin
Admin
Bowarrow51

Running A Tekkit Server Empty
PostSubject: Running A Tekkit Server   Running A Tekkit Server EmptySat Feb 25, 2012 7:54 pm

Feel free to join and play.
http://www.technicpack.net/tekkit/
That is the launcher set it to Tekkit and log in.

Use this IP and port to get on the server:
64.31.38.136:25566

When you've played a while let me know if you would like to run this or our current bukkit server.
Also a 'Tekkit' server is just 'Bukkit' and the 'Technic Pack' together if anyone plays technic pack obviously not all of the Technic Pack mods are part of the multiplayer version but the main ones are.

If you want to be able to see entities(thrown items) from the weapons mod you need to go to
C:\Users\[yournamehere]\AppData\Roaming\.techniclauncher\tekkit\mods\weaponmod
(not sure where on Apple computers)
Open the weaponmod.prop file and replace the entity ID's with:
spear-entity=255
knife-entity=254
flail-entity=253
dynamite-entity=252
javelin-entity=251
bullet-entity=250
dart-entity=249
bolt-entity=248
cannon-entity=247
cannonball-entity=246
shot-entity=245
dummy-entity=244

For people not wanting the ambiance go into controls and look at what key you have MAtmos set to then press that key.

C:\Users\[yournamehere]\AppData\Roaming\.techniclauncher\tekkit\config
and open computer craft configuration file.
change:
diskItemID=4000
to
diskItemID=4256

Last edited by Bowarrow51 on Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:11 am; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
Bobster93

Bobster93

PostSubject: :/   Running A Tekkit Server EmptySat Feb 25, 2012 8:49 pm

I cant get the download work.
Back to top Go down
Bowarrow51
Admin
Admin
Bowarrow51

PostSubject: Re: Running A Tekkit Server   Running A Tekkit Server EmptySat Feb 25, 2012 9:53 pm

You may need to go into %appdata% and go to .technicpack folder and run the jar in there.
Back to top Go down
Ksun Sundbergian

Ksun Sundbergian

PostSubject: Re: Running A Tekkit Server   Running A Tekkit Server EmptySat Feb 25, 2012 11:46 pm

This client is cool and all, but it may be to much as of now. we already have a large amount of quality plug-ins on our server. I'm not saying to throw this idea away, but I think we shouldn't add and add and add to the server. Also, how will our current plug-ins and map work with tekkit? I just feel as if it may be to much for us as of now.
Back to top Go down
Bobster93

Bobster93

PostSubject: Re: Running A Tekkit Server   Running A Tekkit Server EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 3:39 pm

i like the idea but its alot of stuf to learn, Maybe they have something like this for the Better Than Wolves Mod because i honestly believe thats a better mod. Smile
Back to top Go down
Bowarrow51
Admin
Admin
Bowarrow51

PostSubject: Re: Running A Tekkit Server   Running A Tekkit Server EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 1:02 am

Tekkit isn't a mod it's a group of mods such as redpower, buildcraft, industrialcraft, and equivalent exchange 4 of the top mods next to better than wolves, aether, and mo creatures. Which besides mo creatures do not have multiplayer versions yet. Otherwise they would probably be part of tekkit. Also all plugins are compatible because it is a bukkit server running client mods.
Back to top Go down
Raffaeli

Raffaeli

PostSubject: Re: Running A Tekkit Server   Running A Tekkit Server EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 2:27 am

I really like all those mods, and this seems really fun, the question to ask is how much of our work and progress will we lose? We have come a long way with all our buildings and dungeons and working out mods, it would seem a waste to just throw that all away.
Back to top Go down
Ksun Sundbergian

Ksun Sundbergian

PostSubject: Re: Running A Tekkit Server   Running A Tekkit Server EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 9:18 am

From what Bow is telling me, Tekkit wont really set us back all to much (if at all). I also don't think bow would throw away all the work we have done to the server (and payments...) just to start fresh. I'm willing to give Tekkit another chance if i can see our map and plug-ins integrated into that test map if possible. It may give us a better feel as to how Tekkit will work if applied to the real server.
Back to top Go down
Dibbzeh

Dibbzeh

PostSubject: Re: Running A Tekkit Server   Running A Tekkit Server EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 1:17 am

I gotta agree with Ksun. Maybe we should run a test over the course of a week?

So as a trial run I suggest we:
- Save the current map, make a copy of it, and make a copy of the copy just in case
- Swap out Bukkit on the main server for Tekkit while of course backing up the files first
- Load a copy map of the copy copied from the copy(See above)
- Run Tekkit for a week so people can get a feel for it
- Swap back to Bukkit after the week is over
- Run another poll to see if people want to keep Tekkit
- Decide from there

Now if people aren't liking it from the get-go we can always just switch back in the middle of the week.
Behold the awesome power of diplomacy! Or was it democracy... Ooooo...
Running A Tekkit Server Diplom10
Back to top Go down
Dibbzeh

Dibbzeh

PostSubject: Re: Running A Tekkit Server   Running A Tekkit Server EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 1:55 am

Yay totally plagiarized Ksun without consciously knowing.
Back to top Go down
Ksun Sundbergian

Ksun Sundbergian

PostSubject: Re: Running A Tekkit Server   Running A Tekkit Server EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 2:33 am

Dibbzeh wrote:
Yay totally plagiarized Ksun without consciously knowing.

now i copied you and its 100% legal cuz its a quote Very Happy lol...

But on a serious note. I've rethought my original idea about Tekkit. It is perfectly compatible with what we have as of now and we don't even have to use some of the plugins that are set up in bukkit because.... well.. it IS bukkit... lol. its just a plugin-package that comes in a launcher form. all you have to do is download the tekkit launcher and use your minecraft info and bam. your good.

We may want to show people how to make a shortcut on their desktop cuz mr.computer-tech here doesn't know where to find the freakin .exe in the tekkit file.. we also need to show people how to use ALL OF THE PLUGINS. youtube vids and wiki pages and tutorials in the server are a MUST if we want people to come and stay. It is extremely overwhelming to come onto a new server and see that there are 84 pages of items?

Will we lose everything?? not necessarily. We can world edit things from map to map (if we must change maps). stuff may be changes a bit and stufff may be lost.. but we wont have to start from scratch.

Does my character info transfer to the tekkit server?? yes actually. bow can transfer the player info folder right into the tekkit folder. things may need to be manipulated, but your lvl 276 mining will still be there.

All in all we wont be forced into using all of the new things. there will just be new stuff in the world like ores and block types. think of it as a plugin such as false book. its there, you can use it, but you dont have to in order to play on the server. we have alot of things added to minecraft but it is still minecraft at the core.
Back to top Go down
dlehr12

PostSubject: Re: Running A Tekkit Server   Running A Tekkit Server EmptyThu Mar 01, 2012 1:30 pm

I like the plugins, and I enjoyed playing with them, but I think that there is too much stuff. I think we should keep the server simple with some cool plugins that you can choose to take part in, but still allow for normal gameplay if that is what is wanted.

It would be hard to PvP with someone in the NanoSuit Armour in your vanilla diamond stuff.

These mods are game changers, not game modifiers. I think that it would be tough to get new players with a mod that is this complex.

But those are just my two cents.
Back to top Go down
j18696

j18696

PostSubject: Re: Running A Tekkit Server   Running A Tekkit Server EmptyThu Mar 01, 2012 5:12 pm

i feel the same way
Back to top Go down
Ksun Sundbergian

Ksun Sundbergian

PostSubject: Re: Running A Tekkit Server   Running A Tekkit Server EmptyFri Mar 02, 2012 2:16 am

Tekkit may have a lot of stuff that is O.P. but we are going through the list of items and making a mental note of things to limit. For instance, nukes. world guard might not protect against them and they could possibly crash the server even with world guard on. There is also a certain tool that mines a 5x5x50 hole in the direction that you point it. you can obviously see where there would be a problem there. there is also armors and weapons that are new and fancy. you know how we have jump-to on our main server and are making it a reward from a dungeon? Well we can make items only accessible from chests in specific places (like an end dungeon chest).

Yes there may be a lot of new things to learn and a lot of stuff that is "O.P.", but I know we as a community want to make things as fresh and exciting as possible. just because you have access to 48 pages of items doesn't mean you are forced to use them. you wont even know what all there is to make as a regular player because bow will probably block to-many-items for standard users so that they wont get overwhelmed when on the server.

Tekkit may have a lot of items that are extremely powerful compared to the normal items of minecraft, but they are hard to acquire. even if we allowed the nano armor, it would take a lot of time and energy (literally) to get a full suit.

I know you may not want Tekkit because of all the new content, but when was the last time you complained about an expansion pack to one of your favorite online games? Yes, the most experienced players will get the new cool toys first, but that's how the world works. it doesn't mean you cant get the same stuff eventually, it just means you didn't start at the same time or go at the same rate as the First guys.

TLDR: Certain items may be limited or removed due to how powerfull they are. If your not the first one to get it because some one was faster, oh well. Its a game and you will eventually get the same stuff if you really want it.
Back to top Go down
dlehr12

PostSubject: Re: Running A Tekkit Server   Running A Tekkit Server EmptyFri Mar 02, 2012 3:12 am

I'm not saying that I don't like the mod, or that it wouldn't be fun to use. I am saying that if there is too much stuff, we will not get many new users.

Jon ran into this problem with Craftlegends. The heroes plugin was awesome, but so complex that there were people who jumped onto the server, tried to use it, couldn't figure it out, and left, never to return. Mineology was great in it's simplicity. Build, make a town, kill things, ???, Profit. ( <-- Joke)
But for real, people were able to join the server, and play minecraft with their friends.
Now I like the idea that I assumed we had been going off of since the beginning. This is a server where you can just play minecraft with your friends, but we have additional things to do which provide both a source of entertainment, and a way to get new, cool toys on the server. We are not locking diamond tools, we are locking the ability to ride spiders. I would fight through one of Ksun's Dungeons to ride spiders, but not everyone has to.

With the Tekkit stuff, the game is no longer minecraft. Its Tekkit, build off of minecraft. I would hate to see those quarries popping up all over the place, with the equivalent exchange mod making diamonds the only useful currency in the game.

However, I do think that there are parts to those mods which would fit in beautifully on the server. But I think in general, the mods we add should add to the Minecraft we know and love, instead of changing it into a much more complex game.

TL;DR

I think that to make this server successful and fun, we need to use mods that enhance the game of minecraft, but do not completely change it.
New players should be able to join at 4:00 am, to an empty server, read some rules, then be able to play. With all the mods that tekkit adds, there is just too much stuff, with too much power for new people to understand.
As a general rule, if you cannot describe how to do the functions of a mod in minecraft, it is probably to complex for new players to understand.

Thats my two shekel, apologies for misspellings, grammar errors, and general Jackass-ery.
dlehr12
Back to top Go down
Bowarrow51
Admin
Admin
Bowarrow51

PostSubject: Re: Running A Tekkit Server   Running A Tekkit Server EmptySat Mar 03, 2012 3:02 am

I'm closing the server down anyway I can't pay for it anymore. But there would be limitations to the items obviously and minecraft is sandbox because it's suppose to be modded so it is still minecraft. What I've been saying the whole time is these mods don't force you to do anything if you don't like the new items then don't use them throw the special ores into lava or don't use them at all it would be something that people could use if they wanted to use it, they are not forced to use it. If they miss out of the benefits of the mod that's their problem because they refuse to spend 5 minutes looking at how to start on the mod's wiki.
Back to top Go down
Raffaeli

Raffaeli

PostSubject: Re: Running A Tekkit Server   Running A Tekkit Server EmptySat Mar 03, 2012 6:29 pm

It sucks that the server is shutting down, but I can't say I'm surprised. We made the same mistake that Jon made with craftlegends, taking on too much too soon.
Back to top Go down
Ksun Sundbergian

Ksun Sundbergian

PostSubject: Re: Running A Tekkit Server   Running A Tekkit Server EmptySat Mar 03, 2012 9:44 pm

completely understandable bow. real life comes before a game such as minecraft. you still have all of the pluggins and files so when a time comes where you can run a server it will all be there. It may also be a good thing that you are shutting down the server temporarily since we have been a tid dead lately. many of our senior members havent even been on for weeks. ill hop onto that tekkit server with you so i can get a good feel of what tekkit would be like in a functional server setting. it may give us all i better understanding of how that client can be put to use.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Running A Tekkit Server   Running A Tekkit Server Empty

Back to top Go down

Running A Tekkit Server
Page 1 of 1